On TikTok, Slay is a popular slang that means “killing it” or “to do something spectacularly well.” You might have seen videos where people say, “She is slaying in her ball dress” and “He is slaying in his beard.” Have you ever heard this word? Well, this aesthetically pleasing word is all over TikTok.
Everywhere in TikTok, we can see the word Slay. Sometimes in captions, sometimes in hashtags or videos, and sometimes in chats. Slay is one word that is TikTok’s top favorite.
People are using it daily, and if you are new to the platform, you might wonder what the hell word “Slay” means. Well, not to worry, we have got your back. This article will give you the full breakdown of the TikTok favorite word Slay. Let us dig in.
What Does “Slay” Mean on TikTok?
The real meaning of Slay is killing someone. But after its introduction in TikTok videos, the perceived meaning of the word has changed to “to do something spectacularly well.” No, the real meaning is not dead. But when it comes to TikTok, Slay is popular as slang that means “the best of the best,” “Too good,” and “Impressive.”
The formal meaning of the word is completely the opposite of informal. In formal meaning, the word slay means “To kill someone violently,” But in Informal, the word means “something that is too impressive, beautiful, attractive.” From this, we can easily understand that TikTok has the power to change the meaning of the word.
Slay: What is it?
Slay is a slang word that most of the young generation or GenZ use. The word Slay which originated in the 1800s in Germany has traveled a long way, and in the journey, the meaning of the classic word has also changed. While the real meaning is still thriving, the informal or new meaning has gained popularity worldwide.
Slay, which dates back to the 1800s, has quite a lot of meaning. In the traditional sense, slay means “To kill someone or an animal violently, brutally” or “to make someone laugh out loud.” While these are the meanings on the western side, the word has the opposite meaning in Africa; in Africa, Slay is used to call a girl who is a gold digger. “Slay queen” is the word Africans use to insult the gold diggers. However, the word got popularized in 2009 in RuPaul’s Drag Race.
But the GenZ language has a different meaning. Slay means “it is too good,” “Someone who is an expert in an area,” “Beautiful,” “Attractive,” “someone who does something or carries themselves in a better way,” and “Someone who is very much confident about themselves” “Killing it” and much more.
In Which Condition do people say slay on social media?
In TikTok or any other social media, Slay means “Killing it,” someone who carries themselves attractively and confidently. Now let us have a quick look at the conditions people use Slay in social media.
- Becca is slaying in her ball dress.
- Girl, you’re slaying in that short hair.
- In that trimmed beard, John is slaying.
- Ria slayed on the stage with her ultimate speech
- Emily is slaying in TikTok with her stunning dance
- Go slay the stage with your performance
- This boy is slaying on Instagram
- Jason slayed the show
- May is going to slay in the upcoming exam
- Emma is going to slay in her new dress.
What other slang has TikTok Generated?
TikTok users have developed many lingos and slangs. The GenZ language is often confusing for people who just joined TikTok as there are many new slangs. The following are some other slangs that TikTok has introduced or popularized.
- Heather: Someone who is very much popular, beautiful, and attractive. Someone who is desirable and has the vibe everyone loves to be with.
- Karen: A woman who is always rude and angry. A woman who is a racist.
- Bussin: Something that is too good. Delicious food is also called bussing.
- Vibe Check: It means checking someone’s behavior. If two persons’ ideas and thoughts match, they vibe with each other.
- No Cap: It means that the person is speaking the truth. And “Cap,” which is its opposite, means that the person is lying.
- Fire: Something or someone who is beautiful and attractive.
- Live Rent-free in my mind: When someone deeply gets attracted to someone and his whole heart, that is called living rent-free in my mind.
- Simp: Doing something which you don’t like just to impress someone.
Example of “Slay” Meaning on TikTok
@sam_thegirl Just some new ideas if you find your friends are getting board of slay #slay #slayqueen ♬ Monkeys Spinning Monkeys – Kevin MacLeod & Kevin The Monkey
Slay in TikTok means “Someone very attractive or confident.” In formal meaning, slay means “Killing brutally.” In informal meaning, Slay means “Someone or something which is best of the best.”
Slay is a slang word that means impressive or amused. For example, The girl is slaying in her hair color. Here, the word slaying is used to express that someone is attractive in her hair color.
On Instagram and other social media, Slay means “someone who is very good, confident, attractive.” The word has become popular on almost all social media platforms, and in informal meaning everywhere, the meaning is the same.
In dating, Slay means “Killing it.” For example, The boy is saying to his date or girlfriend that she is slaying today.